Thursday, October 20, 2011

That time that I won a Provincial art Award...




Well, okay, so I was 4 months getting to my next post… It’s better than 2 years, right?

Anyway, thought I’d share my Arts and Letters experience from back in April!

Here is a pic of me with my wood-block relief print "Self Portrait as a Garden" at The Rooms Provincial Art Gallery in St. John’s, Newfoundland! I was one of 10 winners in the Senior Visual Arts category in the Newfoundland and Labrador Arts and Letters Awards. The piece was on display at the rooms with the other winners and honorable mentions for 2 weeks. It was really cool to have my work hanging in a real live art gallery! :D

So I sent the piece out in November last year for judging, but they don’t get back to you until February! I was sitting at the Harlow bake-sale table in the crossroads at Grenfell with 2 people from the VA program when I got the call telling me I had won the award, I was so excited! I’ve never won ANYTHING before in my life! The bad thing about it was that they tell you you can’t let it become public knowledge until after the Arts and Letters awards are announced publicly in APRIL! Oh No! 2 months!? But I was allowed to tell my mom and dad and they were so proud! I was bursting with excitement.


So in April we drove out to St. John’s, me, mom, dad and Caleb. It was a really fun trip! We went out from Thursday until Sunday. Mom and I did a tonne of shopping, and I got to hang out with a few friends and we went for lunch with my cousin Maria.

On that Saturday evening we went to the Rooms for the award ceremony. It was really interesting! Some winners in the writing categories performed their works, winners in the music category played their songs, and the second floor gallery was covered in art! The really funny thing was that there were pieces there by some of my friends and acquaintances, but I didn’t even know before seeing them because no one was supposed to tell anyone! Doug Gough won in the Senior Poetry category, and Connor Curtis won in the Junior Musical Composition category. Ruha Thurairatnam and Rene Baldwin got honourable mentions in the Senior Art category and their work was hanging on the walls too! Hooray for knowing such talented and awesome people!

Here is the link to all the 2011 Winners: http://www.tcr.gov.nl.ca/tcr/artsculture/artsandletters/2011/winners_2011.html


And just for fun, here’s a pic of Caleb and my Dad lookin’ all spiffy in front of the big Window in the Rooms that overlooks St. John’s harbour:

:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wooooo, go Kristy!