Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Merry Christmas Emo kid!: The Sister's Christmas Present.


I wanted to make my sister a scarf and she asked for a slouchy sorta hat. The book "Pretty in Punk" has this super cool scarf called "The ska scarf" and it is pretty much the easiest scarf you could ever make. Just garter stitch, but knit horizontally instead of vertically. Jenna's favorite colours are purple and black, but she asked for a black hat. I couldn't give you an exact pattern of how I made the hat, I just knit a few rows of 2x2 rib at the beginning, then started increasing each row until I was satisfied, then started decreasing each row until I was done. Found a nice big ol' black button in my button tin to finish it off. It's probably the best beret-ish type hat I've made. Both items are made out of Bernat Softee Chunky.

I wanted to make Jenna a necklace too, and I had this great idea in my head. I saw something similar on Craftster one time, only made with shrinky-dinks. I made my little polymer clay cloud, spray painted him white, added a coat of sparkly varnish, and painted on his little happy face. The beads are hanging on wire and are a mix of random glass and plastic beads I had. The necklace is seed beads on fishing line and it has a bead and loop closure, because my sister has a pretty bad nickle allergy. There are a few small pieces of metal in the little cloud pendant, but I made sure they were well coated in super glue and varnish to make them hypo-allergenic.

I had these little wooden boxes that I found at Dollarama. I'm a sucker for boxes, I collect them cause, hey, you always need a box for something! Anyway, they're perfect little gift boxes for jewelery, and they were $1 for three. I spray painted this one back, added a coat of sparkles to the lid (iridescent sparkles make everything better!) and glued this little emo-kid drawing that I drew and coloured to the lid.

So, I thought I was done Jenna's Xmas gift, but she recently fell in love with the "Twilight" books (what teen girl hasn't?) and even more, I have recently fallen in love with the "Bella Mittens" pattern that has popped up on Craftster and Ravelry! They're SOOOO nice, and I'd realy like to try making them, (I'm becoming one of those "Ooooh! I need to make that!" people. And any excuse to buy more yarn...) so I'm thinking of making her a pair. I guess I'll see if time constraints allow.

Only 3 weeks to Christmas! aaagh!

OH! I joined Ravelry this week! I LOVE IT! my username is Kris-13. :D

No comments: