Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Toasty while you type: Momma's Xmas Present


My mom spends a lot of time at her computer, and she gets cold in the winter time. She asked me to make her a pair of fingerless gloves that she could wear while she types to keep her hands warm, and I wanted to make a cozy pair of slippers for her too.

I chose Patons Stretch Socks yarn because it's thin. this is so that the gloves wouldn't feel bulky on her hands, cause theres nothing worse than having a pair of gloves on that make your hands feel awkward. The stretch in the yarn also makes sure that the gloves fit snuggly. In the future i would choose a plain yarn, because this one sort of overwhelms the pattern.

The pattern I chose was Knitty's "Spirogyra" http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring08/KSPATTspirogyra.html It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and I did my first yarn overs and slip slip knits. :D I think this pattern is really pretty, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to make a really elegant looking pair of fingerless gloves.

I found this one skein of Blueberry Red Heart Light N' Lofty at Zellers and loved the colour so much that I had to buy it. It doesn't match the gloves, but it was such a nice colour (I'm a sucker for periwinkle).

I used the same pattern as I did for my cast sock, but I knitted the medium size and altered it a little to make sure the foot part would be more narrow, and added some pom-poms for decoration. Light N' Lofty is a big yarn, and really fluffy so it makes a nice pair of comfy slippers.

Now that all my Christmas knitting is done, I can't wait to give everyone their gifts! :D

No comments: